Palliative care focuses on the unique needs of patients with a serious or terminal illness who have been admitted to the hospital for treatment of severe and complex problems. We provide active, total care of patients whose illness does not respond to treatment. The goal of palliative care is to provide the best quality of life for patients and their families. Attention to control of pain; other symptoms; and psychological, social and spiritual concerns is primary.
Living with a complex and serious illness can affect you in so many ways. Our palliative care team members can assist you during this challenging time. They specialize in the relief of physical, emotional, social and spiritual suffering. The team works with your primary care physician to address your needs, questions and hopes. When you define what quality of life means to you, we are better able to help you achieve your goals and address the limits of your illness.
Palliative care helps connect you with meaningful information and resources that enhance your quality of life. We understand that those conversations and actions that help you plan for the future, whatever it may hold, are crucial and we are here to help facilitate them.
Palliative Care Services
- Plans the care the patient wants, ensuring that the treatment team and the patient’s family understand their personal and unique hopes.
- Provides vigorous treatment of pain and common symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, depression and anxiety throughout a patient’s illness.
- Provides emotional and spiritual counseling for the patient and family, helping them as they face difficult medical decisions.
- Helps prepare the patient for the transition from hospital to home, such as in-home support and equipment.
- Ensures that the patient is informed, enabled and empowered to make choices that provide quality of life within the limitations of the illness.
The Consultation Team
The team is composed of physicians, nurses, a social worker, a chaplain and a pharmacist. The palliative care team partners with a patient’s primary physician to deliver well-coordinated and well-communicated care. Let our professionally trained team support you as you seek answers to your personal health care questions.
Contact Us and Hours
A palliative care consultant can be reached through a request from the attending physician. Palliative care hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
415 Sixth St.
Lewiston, ID 83501
View a Map | Get Driving Directions
Back to top